Tobi.com

boutique
the official online boutique of
The Fashion Examiner
get 20% off - use code EXAM20

About Me

My photo
As a nearly 20 year Fashion Industry Vet, I've made TheFE my place to cover and discuss everything fashionable from books, to designer ready-to-wear to couture. All aspects of a fashionable lifestyle are included. BIG NEWS: I'VE MOVED TheFE TO WORDPRESS to take advantage of their superior publishing platform. http://thefashionexaminer.wordpress.com See you there!!

Twitter

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Skagen Denmark Watches and Sunglasses, Just in Time for Summer







TEXT, VIVIAN KELLY
Co-founders Charlotte Jorst and Henrik Jorst stick to the distinctly Danish philosophy: "Keep it simple. Seek out what you love and doggedly pursue your passions."
Danish fashion, we’re told, is finally having its moment, and that, is a relief. I’m tired of “bling-bling” and simple designs like these sunnies and watches are a joy to behold, and so are the prices. The latest accessories range from $75 – 165, a bargain for classic pieces that have a thoroughly modern feel to them. There are of the moment styles on the line, such as the cat eye shape but minus the overly retro look that’s frankly too costume-y for real life. At the top of my list: the sporty mesh silver and stainless steel watch with a white face and some Swarovski crystals tastefully placed around the dial for $100.
I’m also partial to the medium sized square style with white textured leather inlayed in the temples. Since I’m going to Mercedes Benz Miami Swim, I put an order in this morning for a pair [$65 – no I didn’t forget the 1 or 2 in front of the $65]. In mid-July, I’ll need the 100% UV sunray protection the brown gradient CR39 lenses provide. Somehow, I don’t think the $5 pair I bought from the sunglass table in front of MOMA really provides the UV protection stamped on the stem, next to the “made in China” stamp.

There’s something to the claim that the pared back Danish style is having its moment. In spite of the recession and the crashed Euro, there are new Skagen stores in Denmark, and Hong Kong. Sales are especially strong in Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.
For more information on Skagen, visit www.skagen.com
*A nice little bennie – Skagen ships you your items for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment