Tobi.com

boutique
the official online boutique of
The Fashion Examiner
get 20% off - use code EXAM20

About Me

My photo
As a nearly 20 year Fashion Industry Vet, I've made TheFE my place to cover and discuss everything fashionable from books, to designer ready-to-wear to couture. All aspects of a fashionable lifestyle are included. BIG NEWS: I'VE MOVED TheFE TO WORDPRESS to take advantage of their superior publishing platform. http://thefashionexaminer.wordpress.com See you there!!

Twitter

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lanvin’s Goddess Dress: Only for the Svelte AND Tall, Demi + Jenn!








Alber Elbaz is a fashion genius. His draped goddess gown reminds me of my favorite mythological heroine – Athena, Goddess of wisdom. Model Freja Beha Erichsen, the model wearing it at his spring 2010 show, LOOKS like Athena striding down the Runway. I feel empowered just looking at her in it on www.style.com

Mythology though is make-believe and there just aren’t that many mortal women who can pull off this dress, ie: not look as if they’re a little girl playing dress-up.
While doing some research for a class I’m writing for AAU, I stumbled on these pics of JLO and Demi in Alber Elbaz’s stunning draped dress on www.omg.yahoo.com.

Jenn's at the NEON Charity Gala in aid of the IRIS Foundation in Moscow, Russia on May 24.
Demi's at the Freedom Awards in Los Angeles.

This Grecian gown is a stunner, but I'd never attempt to wear it, because although a size 0-2, like these two lovely ladies, I’m 5'5” and draping is for TALL women like Freja or Greek Goddesses whose names are Athena and Aphrodite.

So, back to "LOPEZ vs. MOORE in LANVIN". And the winner is…..neither!!

I researched a few stars who have the necessary height and that can work the drape rather than it working them.
THE WINNER IS: At 5'11" Nicole Kidman would best represent the soigne "uptown lady look". Nicole looks just as good or better than the model who wore the black tank dress [see image].
What do you think, L’Wren? Could this dress by a contender for the next Red Carpet event for your taller ladies?

No comments:

Post a Comment