Tobi.com

boutique
the official online boutique of
The Fashion Examiner
get 20% off - use code EXAM20

About Me

My photo
As a nearly 20 year Fashion Industry Vet, I've made TheFE my place to cover and discuss everything fashionable from books, to designer ready-to-wear to couture. All aspects of a fashionable lifestyle are included. BIG NEWS: I'VE MOVED TheFE TO WORDPRESS to take advantage of their superior publishing platform. http://thefashionexaminer.wordpress.com See you there!!

Twitter

Monday, May 31, 2010

VOGUE'S 'LADY DAY' photoshoot - SILVER HAIR=Edgy + Modern










TEXT, VIVIAN KELLY
It's 8:15a.m., Memorial Day and I've got a low-level headache but I am totally inspired. The cause of the headache? No, it's not the 1 glass of BIG WHITE 2007 CHARDONNAY from SouthEast Africa I had last night. The headache's from staying up too late grading my Academy of Art University Final Exams with Disc 2 of Season 3 of 'Mad Men' running on a continuous loop on the TV in my office until 1a.m.
Steven Meisel's 'LADY DAY' photoshoot, gets the credit for my high spirits.

I finally cracked the MAY 2010 VOGUE issue open yesterday a.m. on the way back from my hubby's soccer tournament, and automatically turned to see what my favorite stylist, GRACE CODDINGTON, had dreamed-up for May. There was AMBER VALLETTA, dressed up as [gasp!] as an OLDER woman and looking absolutely fabulous.
THE BOYS I OWE MY INSPIRED state to: Photographer Steven Meisel and GUIDO, Redken's Creative Consultant for "aging" AMBER, and making me WANT to go gray -like, NOW.
I stayed inspired throughout the evening, mucking-around with bleach and ash color, sneaking a look at 'Roger Sterling's' [his hair is that very shade], on the TV.
Gray/silver is a trend in the making. One of my students, Maria Puglisi, wrote about in her final exam.
Maria suggested that silver is the new "cool" color". I was instantly on-board. After all, Babe Paley let her dark hair go silver.
Maria's image of socialite/model PIXIE GELDORF, sealed the deal.


While the result was not what I envisioned as I started the process last night, it's a step in the right direction and there's a beach party to go to now.
The solution or I should say, satisfaction, is only 1 1/2 months away, That's when I'll be covering Mercedes-Benz Miami Beach Swim, and I'll drop into the Oribe Salon and they'll make my vision a reality. In the meantime, I've got Amber's pic tacked-up to my office wall in front of me, reminding me that a woman CAN have gray hair AND look, not "old", but gorgeous and sophisticated.

To read more enthusiastic reviews about Steven and Grace Coddington's 'LADY DAY' shoot, go to www.chungkitblog.wordpress.com

For information regarding Oribe and the Oribe Salon, visit www.oribesalon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment