Tobi.com

boutique
the official online boutique of
The Fashion Examiner
get 20% off - use code EXAM20

About Me

My photo
As a nearly 20 year Fashion Industry Vet, I've made TheFE my place to cover and discuss everything fashionable from books, to designer ready-to-wear to couture. All aspects of a fashionable lifestyle are included. BIG NEWS: I'VE MOVED TheFE TO WORDPRESS to take advantage of their superior publishing platform. http://thefashionexaminer.wordpress.com See you there!!

Twitter

Friday, August 20, 2010

THE SIMPLE PLEASURES EQUATION: EARLY PAUL ANKA + A MARTINI + FALSE EYELASHES + GORGEOUS FLOWERS + BEAUTIFUL WRITING PAPER=A SLICE OF HAPPINESS







Bookmark and Share




TEXT: VIVIAN KELLY

Sixties crooner, PAUL ANKA, said it all when he won-over the girls with his hit single, “Just Give Me A Steel Guitar and a Glass of Wine”. This was one of the songs Michael [Kors] picked back in the nineties, when we were putting together the soundtrack for one of his showroom press shows. What is still crystal clear in my mind was how HAPPY “the girls” aka the supermodels in the show were doing that show. While in our cramped offices at 550 Seventh Ave., getting their hair and makeup done, they got into the groove of JUST BEING HAPPY and letting down the “I’m a fabulous supermodel” guard. Pre-show, a few of them pronounced Paul Anka “corny” while hearing it for the first time as BOBBI BROWN applied makeup onto their already perfect faces. Once walking the cramped runway though, they smiled more than I’ve ever seen models smile at a show at the 1,000+ shows I’ve attended in my 18 years in this biz. EVA HERTZIGOVA waited at the elevator holding her BIRKIN, humming, “ Just Give Me a Steel Guitar”.

Years later, sitting in my house in the CT countryside, on a faux red CAVALLI-eque croco barstool, I’m listening to the crickets and enjoying a VEIL VODKA and ROSES’ LIGHT Cosmopolitan. I’m bent on recreating the fantasy of an easier glamorous time, so I go for broke with the requisite accessories. I’m armed with a pair of astonishingly easy to apply POP “Diva” FAUX LASHES”, red nails by REVLON, a giant KENNETH JAY LANE cocktail ring, and a GORGEOUS COLORFUL FLOWER ARRANGEMENT. Off to my right, is an ANDY WARHOL “Jackie” print.
Perfection.
All of this serves as the background to the activity, which is writing thank you notes on my monogrammed CRAIN”S STATIONARY for the thoughtful gifts the dozen close friends who came over this past weekend gave me. All the gifts were about COMFORT AND A LITTLE BIT OF LUXURY. There was: the aforementioned pink and red rose and calla Lilly bouquet, the funky retro WENDY MINK necklace, the bottles of SKY and VEIL vodka, a pair of “ POP FAUX LASHES, and GIFTS FROM THE SEA, a book my friend, Deborah, of THE FASHION CALENDAR, insist I read. She says I’m “ready” for it.
After I finish the highly satisfying note writing I crack open the book. Log-in this weekend for the review.
Ciao bella!

WHERE TO GET IT
Flowers - Pamela Jones Florals, contact: pamelajones16@comcast.net
Stationary - Crains at www.crane.com


SPECIAL SHOPPING PROMO OPPORTUNITY AT BEAUTY360.COM
Beauty 360 is continuing to celebrate summer with an exclusive online makeup sale. Beginning today through August 23rd, save 20% on your favorite prestige makeup products purchased from Beauty360.com.
HOW TO SAVE: Enter the special code SIZZLE at checkout!
Follow the following link for additional details and to start shopping: http://tinyurl.com/29n9rum

www.Beauty360.com, is the online shopping destination for CVS/pharmacy’s prestige beauty retailer Beauty 360. It's your go-to destination for coveted cosmetic brands including Vincent Longo, Paula Dorf, Laura Geller, Cargo and many more.
To stay up to the minute beauty tips and promos, follow them on Facebook and Twitter (www.twitter.com/beauty360).

No comments:

Post a Comment