Tobi.com

boutique
the official online boutique of
The Fashion Examiner
get 20% off - use code EXAM20

About Me

My photo
As a nearly 20 year Fashion Industry Vet, I've made TheFE my place to cover and discuss everything fashionable from books, to designer ready-to-wear to couture. All aspects of a fashionable lifestyle are included. BIG NEWS: I'VE MOVED TheFE TO WORDPRESS to take advantage of their superior publishing platform. http://thefashionexaminer.wordpress.com See you there!!

Twitter

Saturday, January 29, 2011

THeHUnt: Project Vuitton Bag - Successful!

Bookmark and Share

TEXT, VIVIAN KELLY

A FEW MONTHS AGO, I bought a decrepit Louis Vuitton bag from Inga, one of my fave consignment sellers in Port Chester, NY at Deja Vu Consignments. It was just the right size - a big drawstring duffle, for $50, I knocked-over the woman by the counter [almost] to grab it.
Okay,  so it didn't have a shoulder strap and the bottom was " a little bit worse for the wear and tear", but STILL.

I took my prize to Felipe, my shoe guy at SHOE SERVICE PLAZA for a diagnosis. I've spoken about Felipe before - his years as the resident fix anything gem at Shoe Service in New York City. That was the go-to place for all the fashion houses and magazines when it came to quality repairs to luxe accessories from Vuitton, Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo.
This particular repair I was presenting Felipe with was going to be a doozie, but he was fascinated, and like the true craftsman he is, viewed it as a challenge.
We initially only added a shoulder strap and that lasted for a few weeks until the worn-out side straps inconveniently snapped while I was at the Orlando airport.

Back to Felipe and for some major cosmetic surgery.
The Prognosis - The Vuitton bag needs:
New leather base
New piping
New strap
New leather drawstring

With all of this, Felipe couldn't even guess what it would run but promised me "a good price". I gave over the bag to him and his brother and hoped for the best.

As you'll see from the before and after pics, this repair is nothing short of a miracle.
The cost: $90, but "heavy" repairs like this can run you in the $200s.

Resources
Shoe Service Plaza: tel: 203-297-6040, ask for Felipe.
www.stonyhillshoerepair.com
email: shoeserviceplaza@hotmail.com

Deja Vu Consignment
[Voted Westchester's Best]
tel: 914-481-1160, ask for Inga

No comments:

Post a Comment