Tobi.com

boutique
the official online boutique of
The Fashion Examiner
get 20% off - use code EXAM20

About Me

My photo
As a nearly 20 year Fashion Industry Vet, I've made TheFE my place to cover and discuss everything fashionable from books, to designer ready-to-wear to couture. All aspects of a fashionable lifestyle are included. BIG NEWS: I'VE MOVED TheFE TO WORDPRESS to take advantage of their superior publishing platform. http://thefashionexaminer.wordpress.com See you there!!

Twitter

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Item of the Month: Capes! Be a Caped Crusader This Winter






Bookmark and Share

TEXT, VIVIAN KELLY

About a year ago, I was digging around on yet another HUnt, this one at the Cromlix Antiques Barn, on Barrack Hill in Ridgefield, with the intent of maybe leaving with a print of a King Charles Spaniel or a Greek Key Cachepot. That time, I never made it upstairs as I stopped in my tracks when I spotted a red cape. Prior to this encounter, I'd dismissed capes as something that only worked if your name was SuperMan, Sherlock Holmes or Little Red Riding Hood.
All that went out the window after my Dutch Mother-in-Law surprised me and bought said cape, presenting it to me as a wedding gift later on that weekend. As soon as I tore the gift wrap off, I started wearing it during the relatively balmy November month, and it's a permanent fixture in the backseat of my car.
This simple item was a novel addition to my trusty but tired Michael Kors car and pea coats that were as the Stones sang, "A Little Worse for the Wear and Tear".
Rather than being given odd looks, to my surprise, I got complimented. It seems that the erstwhile theatrical cape is now a fashion item. Just recently, I lapsed and succumbed to my form of junk food - a copy of STAR Magazine - I wanted to read about Angelina Jolie's "Heroin Shocker! WASTER! REHAB FOR ANGIE". While flipping through, I found my way to p.60-61, a spread titled "Crazy for CAPES". STAR showed some cute styles by TopShop, Esprit and Guess by Marciano Linley, all under $240, less than you'd pay for a decent coat.
Best of all, my red vintage [$75] find resembles the best of the four shown on the chosen stylish starlets: Kate Hudson, Kim Kardashian, Kristen Bell, and Sienna Miller.
The winner: Sienna Miller. The STAR doesn't say who hers is by but the Topshop cape at $170 makes for a nice substitution.
Other places to look for some well-priced options are Lord & Taylor [near the hats and gloves] and on www.qvc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment