Tobi.com

boutique
the official online boutique of
The Fashion Examiner
get 20% off - use code EXAM20

About Me

My photo
As a nearly 20 year Fashion Industry Vet, I've made TheFE my place to cover and discuss everything fashionable from books, to designer ready-to-wear to couture. All aspects of a fashionable lifestyle are included. BIG NEWS: I'VE MOVED TheFE TO WORDPRESS to take advantage of their superior publishing platform. http://thefashionexaminer.wordpress.com See you there!!

Twitter

Monday, December 13, 2010

In Search of Fashion and Holiday Gifts at the Orlando Airport



Bookmark and Share

TEXT, VIVIAN KELLY

Yesterday, my plan to plop down in front of the fireplace, safely back home and watch Valley of the Dolls, one of my favorite movies of all time blew-up in my face. I’d planned it all - a glass of X-Rated Fusion Liqueur on chipped ice next to me, “Simply Vera” moon boot slippers on my feet, and MacBook on my lap. I looked forward to studying the hair, makeup and clothes from an era that produced some of our most celebrated fashion icons: Marilyn, Audrey, Jackie and Grace.

My plan was as they say in the world of horseracing – “scratched” the customer service rep informed me that all flights to the New York area were cancelled for the day. The first flight we could get out of Orland was over 24 hours later.

I dumped the bags at the airport Hyatt and inspired by the giant Xmas Tree by their elevator bank, decided to see if I could find some fashion at the airport. Ho ho – No. I wasn’t feeling the jingle bell spirit - yet.

There wasn’t anyone fashionable who came across my path – no models or celebs dashing through chased by, but I doubt they’d be in Orlando anyhow.

That left the airport stores. The usual suspects were there – Borders, L’Occitane de Provence, Brookstone, Erwin Pearl, and LUSH. The time – 3p.m., the foot traffic light medium in the shops, traffic at the TSA checkpoints, horrid.

At Borders, I checked out Keith Richard's new book, Life. The few pages I read were entertaining and sounded as if he were really telling his story, as opposed to dumping it on his ghostwriter to do all the work, There are some great family pics and my favorite – Keith strumming his guitar in his CT home. The book qualifies as fashionable because Keith is a Rock God who has great personal style, and he’s married to Patti Hansen,

one of the most important models to come out of the Seventies. She was one of the blondes who defined the “Healthy All-American Girl”, most notably romping at the beach and filling out her Calvins.

Over at Erwin Pearl, I was excited to find out that they’re now offering titanium jewelry for women. According to the very patient saleslady, “titanium is what the space shuttle is made of” ie: bang it around as much as you will safe in the knowledge nothing will happen to your jewelry.

Some of the silver and cubic zirconium pieces and titanium and zirconium pieces looked very similar to Tiffany designs. The saleswoman informed us that Mr. Pearl designs for Tiffany and because he does, he is free to use his designs for his own line. Yes, you can buy the classic Tiffany 6 prong engagement ring at his shop in sterling silver with a
1-carat cubic zirconium for $160. My pick : the faux canary yellow cushion cut ring flanked by two cubic z. trillions, set in sterling, $250.

Twenty minutes later, we hit pay dirt at Brookstone. What’s not to like? Their [“Tote To Go” $19.95]
looks very much like the original Longchamps one [@$125] for dragging all that extra stuff you bought while knocking out some Xmas shopping due to delays.

Best though was the Brookstone MAX percussion massager wand $99.95. The two-minute demos we gave each other worked away the shoulder muscle knots thanks to the pulsing acupressure node. On the way out, we stopped to squeeze the mini Tempur-Pedic pillow stylishly piped in Robin’s egg blue and considered splurging on one as well as a pair of black Tempur-Pedic slippers for $49.95. They’ve got a nice thick sole that you could get away with on days you’re doing errands in a ball cap and sunglasses and your feet need a break from the party heels you wore the night before.

Our last stop was at LUSH.
The colorful gift boxes in the back of the store beckoned. Some people find it awkward to gift soap, but I say, “nonsense!” when they look and smell as good as these. “No” to the jelly soap – too much of a similarity to jell-o for me, but everything else in there is a thumbs up. I bought a ¼ pound of the blood orange colored “Karma” soap [$7.95 for ¼ lb.] in hopes that it would bring us some lucky travel Karma. Even if it doesn’t work, I’ll smell delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment